PHE are pleased to advise that the outcome from the consultation on dementia risk reduction messaging, together with the results from the Age 40+ pilot project, led to a recent submission from their Expert Scientific Clinical Advisory Panel (ESCAP) to the Public Health Minister.
The Minister has approved the recommendations for dementia risk reduction messaging to be included in the NHS Health Check, for everyone eligible, aged 40-74. The Minister’s response outlining the next steps is due at the end of April. In the meantime, PHE continue to be working closely with all of our partners to strengthen the dementia risk reduction messaging in our guidance, training and public facing messaging.
A range of tools and resources available are highlighted below:
Resources on Dementia Risk Reduction
- The findings from the pilot project have been summarised by Alzheimer’s Society and Alzheimer’s Research UK and published here.
- A ’Top Tips’ paper for NHS Health Check providers, practitioners and commissioners on talking about Dementia in the NHS Health Check from age 40-64 years is available on the NHS Health check website.
- The NHS Health Check Dementia leaflet can be found here. It is available in a number of different languages to order and to download
- The revised NHS Health Check 30 minute e-learning for practitioners to introduce the dementia risk reduction component, updated January 2018
- A page providing links to training tools and resources
- 3 Videos 1) Dementia and the NHS Health Check; 2) Delivering the dementia component; 3) A walk through the dementia leaflet
- A slide set on ‘Helping your brain to stay healthy’
- NHS Health Check Dementia Component-Prompt sheet for Health Care Practitioners
- References and statistics to support the dementia NHS Health Check slide deck
- How to use the NHS Health Check dementia leaflet in your appointments
There is also a video with Angela Rippon which highlights ways to reduce the risk of developing dementia. We are currently in the process of updating the 30 minute dementia online training resource for health professionals.Share